For each of the .md source files a Ruby data structure is produced which is then combined width Liquid templates to generate the HTML pages for the website. Partly I used Liquid to gain experience with it, and partly to improve the bespoke code I have for generating my website.
To get Liquid to work for me I had to discover how to tell Liquid where the template files were. This I achieved (after reading what the source code did) by setting a filesystem for Liquid by code like:
Liquid::Template.file_system = Liquid::LocalFileSystem.new( @source + '/_liquid', pattern = "%s.liquid")
Had some problems when I had a template named the same as one of the keys in the hash passed to the render method on the top-level Liquid template I was using. Resolved this by ensuring the names were different. This doesn't seem to be a problem with using the include tag inside a Liquid template.
Liquid seemed if one passed an array to a template to invoke that template for every element of the array but I didn't investigate that very much.
I was impressed by how well Liquid worked for me, and the power and neatness of the syntax. In passing controlling whitespace inside Liquid can save quite a few bytes in the generated HTML files.